If you ever wonder how store shelves stay stocked with everything you need in life, it’s because truck drivers work around the clock to make sure deliveries are made on time. However, this can take a toll on their health if they don’t get the rest they need.
That’s where the DOT Hours of Service come in. But what is this concept?
The Dot Hours of Services was developed for truck drivers, consisting of mandatory work and rest hours that help regulate duty cycles. To keep track of these hours, an Electronic Logging Device (ELD) is required for commercial vehicle operators. This tracks the amount of miles driven in a shift and the driver’s duty status.
In a nutshell, the DOT Hours of Service are in place for safety reasons. Truck drivers need to stay vigilant behind the wheel, and to do this they need a proper work/rest balance.
The DOT Hours of Service are clearly outlined on the FMCSA website, and it’s always a good idea to check them out periodically in case of any changes. However, we give a quick breakdown of the different types of hours below:
1. 14-Hour Shift Limit: The driver must stop for a break that lasts 10 hours after completing a 14-hour on duty shift. Note that every hour within the 14-hour timeframe counts, even if you weren’t driving.
2. 11-Hour Driving Limit: During the 14-hour shift driving is limited to 11 hours.
3. 60/70 Hour Limit: This depends on daily duty. If the carrier isn’t on duty daily, then they can’t drive more than 60 hours within seven days. However, daily operators must adhere to 70-hours within eight days.
4. 34-Hour Restart: Once the carrier reaches the 60 or 70 hour limit, it must be followed by 34 consecutive hours of rest.
5. 30-Minute Breaks: Every driver must stop for 30 minutes after driving eight hours.
6: Split Sleep Berth: Basically, a 10 hour shift needs to be broken up between 8/2 (staying in the sleeper berth for 8-10 hours, with 2-8 hours off-duty) or 7/3 ( follows the same concept as 8/2, but with shorter hours).
At US 1 Network, we're always looking for talented, motivated logistics agents to join our nationwide team. If you're a skilled, experienced agent with a self-starting mentality, apply today and find out how US 1 Network can advance your career. This is one of the fastest-growing industries in the country. What are you waiting for?Learn More & apply
If you're looking for a career with solid benefits, excellent growth potential, and the freedom to work how and when you want, look no further. US 1 Network is looking for experienced owner operators to join our team of shipping experts. The logistics industry is growing rapidly, so apply today and join a winning team!Learn More & apply